Breast Augmentation Newport Beach
Beautify Enhance Renew
Many women struggle with the size or shape of their breasts. For a lot of women, their breasts never developed as they would have liked. For others, major life events left their breasts damaged, deflated, or asymmetrical. No matter the reason, having breasts you don’t love is something no woman needs to live with.
Breast augmentation with implants is performed to enhance the size, shape, and volume of your bust.
What Is Breast Augmentation?
Newport Beach breast augmentation (augmentation mammoplasty) is a popular choice among women who feel that their breasts are naturally too small or for women who have lost volume in their breasts due to a recent physiological change (pregnancy or weight loss). A customized set of implants can help you achieve the physique you’ve always wanted.
Contact Dr. Grazer in Newport Beach to learn more about breast augmentation.Schedule a Consultation
Why Should I Choose Breast Augmentation?
Increased Breast Size
Most women consider breast augmentation because their breasts are too small in proportion to their body. Implant size can be chosen to provide either the subtle or dramatic size increase you are looking for. With a bust size in better proportion to your body, you can finally wear the form-fitting clothes you’ve been eying with confidence.
Enhanced Breast Shape
Poorly shaped or undefined breasts can make you feel self-conscious about the profile of your body. The implants chosen to enhance your body type can create the slope, cleavage, and overall shape your bustline needs. If you desire greater cleavage, you can choose implants designed for that. If you are looking for natural-looking breasts, anatomically shaped implants may be right for you. Your implant possibilities are endless, so you can achieve the exact look you desire.
Improved Breast Symmetry
Most women experience some degree of breast asymmetry (when one breast is larger or sits higher than the other). Fortunately for many, this asymmetry is so slight that it is unnoticeable to the naked eye. Sadly for some, this unevenness is a significant concern. Breast augmentation can tailor your implants to result in a more even breast appearance. This may involve only using a breast on one side or having different-sized implants.
Designing Your Breast Augmentation
Breast Implant Choices
- Implant material plays an important role in creating the look and feel of your breasts. You will work with your surgeon to determine the best type of implant for your needs.
- Saline – FDA approved for women over 18. The size of saline implants can be adjusted, as they are filled during the placement process.
- Silicone – FDA approved for women over 22. Silicone implants are commonly preferred because they better simulate the look and feel of natural breast tissue.
- Other factors – Your surgeon will work with you to choose other specific aspects of your breast implants, such as shape, texture, profile, and size. These aspects will be tailored to your body type and will be discussed during your consultation.
You can learn more about breast implant profiles by reading our blog.
Breast Augmentation Incision Options
- Incision placement impacts the visibility of scarring and the type of implant that can be placed. Some incision locations may limit the size of the implant that can be placed.
- Periareolar – Incisions are created around the outer border of the areola.
- Inframammary – Incisions are placed along the natural lower breast crease.
- Transaxillary – Incisions are located within the armpit.
- Influencing factors – The ideal incision for your surgery will depend on the implant type, size, and placement chosen for your surgery. These options will be discussed during your consultation.
Breast Implant Placement
- Implant placement depends on the implant material and your aesthetic goals. The location of where your implants are placed can have an impact on the length of your recovery and the final positioning of your breasts.
- Subglandular – Implants are placed over the muscle but under the breast tissue.
- Subpectoral – Implants are placed under both the muscle and the breast tissue.
- Ideal positioning – The best placement for your implants is decided on an individual basis. Factors to consider when choosing implant placement include the slope of your breasts, the tissue thickness, and your level of daily physical activity.
Combining Implants With Breast Lift
- Breast lift surgery is commonly combined with implants to treat minor to severe laxity that may be present at the time of surgery. Sagging breast tissue is often seen in patients who:
- Have had children
- Have undergone significant weight loss
- Have begun to develop age-related droop
- Combination benefits – Undergoing a breast lift with your augmentation provides additional support to the implants and helps to prevent malposition complications in the future.
What Can I Expect After Breast Augmentation?
How Long Is Breast Augmentation Recovery?
For most women, recovery from breast augmentation surgery takes two to four weeks. Bruising and swelling will persist for several days, but this will subside over time. You will need to limit your physical activities, especially those of the upper body, during your recovery. In Newport Beach, Dr. Grazer will clear you to resume your regular exercise routine when you are ready. Most patients find that their breasts settle into their final position after eight to 12 weeks, and final results are usually seen at six months.
To learn more about preparing for your breast augmentation recovery, read our blog here.
Does Breast Augmentation Leave Scars?
The extent and visibility of your scarring will vary depending on the location of your incision. Dr. Grazer’s suturing techniques help to minimize scar formation. However, genetics can play a role in scar development. In any event, scarring is likely to fade over time.
Where will my breast augmentation scars be?
Breast augmentation requires an incision to place an implant. You can avoid having a scar on the breast itself by choosing the transaxillary incision. With a transaxillary incision, the incision is made within the armpit to avoid incisions on or under the breasts. If you choose the periareolar (around the areola) or inframammary (along the breast crease) incisions, the resulting scars will be concealable beneath bras and bathing suits.
How Painful Is Breast Augmentation Recovery?
Since Dr. Grazer uses IV sedation to perform your breast augmentation, you can feel assured that you will remain comfortable throughout the procedure. While you are recovering, you may feel some soreness and discomfort, but you will be prescribed medication to combat it. Some women choose to use over-the-counter pain medication, such as TYLENOL®.
For tips about how you can reduce pain after breast augmentation, read our blog here.
Frequently Asked Questions About Breast Augmentation
How much is breast augmentation?
The cost of a breast augmentation reflects the techniques used and the type of implants chosen for surgery. Anesthesia fees, surgical fees, and facility fees also impact the final price of your surgery. In Newport Beach, Dr. Grazer will provide you with a detailed quote following your consultation.
Dr. Grazer offers financing options through CareCredit® and Alphaeon® Credit to assist you in paying for your breast augmentation.
Am I a candidate for breast augmentation surgery?
You may be a candidate for breast augmentation surgery if you are:
- Over the age of 18 (for saline implants) or 22 (for silicone implants)
- Displeased with the size of your natural breasts
- Experiencing changes in breast size due to pregnancy or weight fluctuations
- In generally good health
- A nonsmoker
- At or near your ideal weight
- Realistic in your expectations
What are the risks of breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation surgery is one of the most common cosmetic procedures and is generally safe. However, risks can come with any surgical procedure.
These risks include:
- Adverse reactions to the anesthesia
- Capsular contracture (when the scar tissue hardens and squeezes around the implant)
Aesthetic complications may include:
- Breast asymmetry
How long does breast augmentation surgery take?
The length of your breast augmentation surgery will vary based on your specific needs and whether the surgery is being performed with an additional technique. Generally, breast augmentation procedures take between one and two hours.
Should I lose weight before breast augmentation surgery?
It is recommended to be at your ideal weight before undergoing breast augmentation surgery. Being at your ideal weight ensures that you are choosing the correct size of implants. Additionally, weight loss after surgery may affect the way your implants look or result in premature sagging. If you experience sagging breasts before or after your breast augmentation, consider combining your implants with a breast lift.
How should I prepare for breast augmentation surgery?
To prepare for breast augmentation surgery, we suggest you make arrangements for someone to drive you to and from the office. Plan to take some time off work and your exercise routines to rest and recuperate. While breast augmentation has a shorter recovery period than many plastic surgery procedures, you are still required to alter your day-to-day schedule to heal. Before surgery, you should stop smoking and taking blood-thinning medications and herbal supplements. Talk to your doctor about which medications may affect your surgery.
How can I avoid unnecessary sagging after breast augmentation?
To avoid premature sagging, it is important to wear a supportive bra as often as possible. After surgery, you may be provided a surgical bra to keep your breasts protected for a few weeks. After recovery, a supportive bra can help keep breasts perky longer. You will not immediately be able to return to an underwire bra, as this can irritate or harm the healing incisions. Most women can return to an underwire bra within six months; however, you should verify this with Dr. Grazer beforehand.
Interested in learning more about breastfeeding after breast augmentation? Read our blog here.
What is the difference between breast augmentation with implants and breast augmentation with fat transfer?
If you are interested in increasing the size of your breasts, you do have multiple options. While implants are the traditional choice, fat transfer breast augmentation is gaining more popularity. This technique removes fat from your body (using liposuction) and transfers that fat to the breasts. This allows for natural-looking and feeling fullness and does not involve potential implant complications. Unfortunately, fat transfer does not allow for the same increase in size as implants — it usually only allows for a ½ cup to a cup increase — and is not appropriate for everyone.
To learn more about the differences between implants vs. fat transfer breast augmentation, read our blog here.